Tuesday, February 9, 2010

10 Best and Worst Valentine's Day Gifts for Nurses

10 Best (and worst!) Valentine’s Day Gifts for Nurses



Almost ten years ago now, my honey and I celebrated our first Valentine’s Day together. I, being the consummate romantic and girly girl, scoured the stores for the perfect gift. I settled on a nice shirt and a nice bottle of cologne. Excited for the gift giving, I wrapped the presents in heart themed wrapping paper and awaited the exchange. I learned a very important lesson that day; my honey is NOT a good Valentine’s Day gift giver. He gave me a heart balloon and a little ceramic nurse frog that was donning latex gloves.
Nowadays, we don’t do a big Valentine’s Day exchange, just a couple cards and something kitschy. His sister owns a flower shop, so I do usually get flowers and then I stump him with “Oh yea, well what does the card say?” He seems to get that right most of the time so maybe he really does fill out the card. So to give you all a heads up, let me tell you some of the worst and best Valentines Day presents.
Best
A Spa Gift Certificate, we love massages with no strings attached
A really great pair of shoes that you know we have been eyeing for awhile.
Flowers, we do enjoy these, just no baby’s breath.
A sweater from our favorite store with the gift receipt (Just in case)
Something sentimental, like a nice picture frame with a picture of the two of you from somewhere special
A weekend trip somewhere close but romantic
A “Fort Night”: Build a fort in the living room and watch a romantic movie with all the childhood favorite foods (sundaes, pizza, PB&J)
A nice dinner, we get to pick the place
A homemade coupon book with coupons for stuff we would appreciate (One Make Dinner AND Clean Up; One Foot Massage)
A trip to our favorite place: the bookstore, a coffee shop, a beach, anything that shows you are paying attention.
Worst
Anything Nurse themed; it takes a very rare person to get excited about a nurse ceramic frog. Let me know when you find them; I’d love to meet them.
Any kind of appliance. A vacuum cleaner does not spell R-O-M-A-N-C-E.
A gym membership. Enough said.
Anything you buy at the drug store (and we know what their stock looks like), i.e. a Valentine’s tiara, salt and pepper shakers, a huge stuffed gorilla, and/or vitamins.
Less than upscale lingerie. This should be a gal’s idea and if she hasn’t bought any yet, she probably doesn’t want to wear it.
Low end chocolates. If you are going to go the choco-route, please go Godiva.
Any kind of flower creation that has baby’s breath in it. Baby’s breath screams “old lady flowers” and its just really cheap filler. Get the green stuff instead.
A singing telegram…wait, this could go either way.
Any kind of self help book.
A mixed tape. No one should even own a tape player anymore.
These are my tips for you Valentine’s Day Gift Givers out there…I’m usually a pretty good gift giver so my advice shouldn’t lead you too astray. Just please, no nurse themed ceramic frogs, cats, monkeys, dogs…you get the picture. Happy Lover’s Day, everyone!!! ‘

No comments:

Post a Comment